March 31, 2011

I Spy Suzani

If you look hard enough at every detail in any design magazine, you'll see them. It's kind of like how if you look in every magazine design photo, you'll find fresh flowers. But I'm talking about Suzanis. I know, some of you are saying this is so 2009. But I'm just discovering them and I can't get enough. (That's what happens when you live in the midwest, it takes a while for things to hit.) Suzanis are embroidered textiles from Uzbekistan. They add that rustic appeal that makes a room look real,  and lived in, not like a staged, model home. I love how they can go in a traditional home (see first pic) as well as not so traditional. Its looks handmade and ethnic, not like something you could just pick up at Target. (Although, I did see some Suzani inspired fabric at Hobby Lobby). The genuine article can be used as upholstery, or in pillows, rugs, or wall hangings.  I also spied great suzani-inspired designs on plates, bowls, and boots (okay, maybe that's taking it a bit far, even for me!)

So, have you spied any great suzanis? Next time you are in Uzbekistan, pick one up! Or, check them out here, or on Ebay.
Suzani textiles on table
photo
Couch Upholstered in Suzani Textiles
photo
Suzani Pillow on Bed
photo
Suzani
photo

Suzani Plates
photo

1 comment:

  1. hi dear u can always check my desu=igns from i love suzani group in facebook i will be honored :)
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=117264118872&v=wall&ref=ts

    ReplyDelete

c'mon, don't be shy...