April 01, 2012

Vintage Scarf Pillows

I've been slowly trying to make my office a space that I want to be in since I've been spending more time in here. I decided I needed some storage so I brought up some dressers that my neighbor had given me in exchange for doing some painting for him. I had forgotten that when we took the drawers out to paint them, we found a hidden treasure-- an old vintage scarf that belonged to sweet Mary, my neighbor who among other great achievements lived to be 100! I loved the pattern on the scarf, but didn't know what to do with it.  At first I thought about framing it like these...
photo
photo

But that didn't seem quite right.

So I made a pillow instead. Here she is:

(Oh! You can see in this photo a sneak peek of the 
Fretwork Eco Throw in GREY-- coming soon!)

Amazing how it matches the pelmet box fabric that I designed. 
I hadn't planned that, just a happy coincidence!

The pillow was super easy to make. I used some old drapery liner fabric that I had on hand and fused the scarf on to it with "Heat N Bond Lite", which is an iron on adhesive, so that way it has a little extra strength to it since it's a lightweight silk scarf. Iron the stuff on before you sew the pillow together (duh.) Since I'm too lazy to learn to sew a zipper, I just did an easy overlap in the back, I even just used the selvaged edge so I didn't have to sew a hem on it. (Hem is probably not the right word here, but you know what I mean.)

Making this scarf pillow took less than a half an hour, 
it was FREE since I had everything already
AND it's a green project--using recycled materials and scraps. 
Whoohoo!

Don't want to make one yourself? Check out these beauties:


All from Esty shop found here.

1 comment:

  1. Love that new pillow- and the color is perfect next to your new throw!

    ReplyDelete

c'mon, don't be shy...