July 14, 2013

cross + trend


Emily Henderson's Living Room
Is anyone else seeing these plus signs everywhere? Or are they shortend crosses? About 2 years ago my friend Annie asked me to make a cross throw (she's always so ahead of her time). I couldn't because I didn't get it. Is it just a design, or does it mean something? A symbol that's making a point: Help people? Jesus? Additon? Peace? I know, I'm reading WAY too much into it, but it is very well known as being the symbol for the American Red Cross:
photo
Switzerland's Flag:
photo
So I felt like it was making some kind of statement. I think I've gotten over it, and any association that comes with it is at least a peaceful and kind one. Something about the symplicity is nice. Will this be a lasting trend? Do I need to make a cross blanket? These sure are cool:
photo
photo
And these little cuties are what got me thinking about all this cross business again:
photo

The baby blanket sure is adorable, and you know I'm a sucker for triangles:

photo
Passing trend? Or modern design staple?

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 15, 2013

    This is adorable =) if it's just a trending item, it's a cute trend! I especially love the old school red cross flag hanging in the living room in the first pic. You should def make some plus sign/red cross stuff!

    <3, Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. pluses are the new chevron. http://www.uwdecals.com/products/plus-signs.html

    I'm toying with the idea of putting these decals in my foyer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cross is a really lovely trend! Though I do want to point out, as I'm sure you know, that the Red Cross is not an exclusively or even orginally American organisation - it started in Switzerland in the 19th century and spread to become an international organisation. The British Red Cross uses the same emblem, as do the Red Cross organisations of, for example, Taiwan, Paraguay and Lebanon. What do you think of more overtly Christian crosses? As a non-Christian, I both like the symbol for its cultural value, and find it slightly odd to use decoratively... nevertheless I have some beautiful wooden cross earrings which I love to wear!

    ReplyDelete

c'mon, don't be shy...