October 31, 2011

Cappuccino Love & Art

photo
photo
photo
 HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
     If you've met me, you should already know that I LOVE coffee, a good old fashioned cappuccino to be exact. I'm sure even in a brief meeting, the conversation of coffee would come up. So for all you out there who know me and have heard me talk about it before, here it is again!
        A traditional cappuccino is 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk and 1/3 milk foam, typically served in a 6 oz. cup. So here's my rant: most coffee shops will ask you what size you want. (Don't get me started on the fact that a "tall" is actually the smallest size at Starbucks). When you order anything in a larger size cup, I always ask what the ratio of espresso to milk to foam is because most places will tell you if you order a larger size, they just fill up the remainder with milk. So now your cappuccino ratio has now become like 1/4 espresso, 1/2 milk and 1/4 foam. So the yummy richness of the espresso is now watered down with milk. If they are going to serve it in a larger cup, it should keep the same ratio-- just double everything. So yes, I'm one of those annoying people who ask that question, but it NEEDS to be asked because there is NOTHING WORSE than getting a watered down cappuccino. So depressing. I can stand a too strong one, and you can always add milk to it, but an already watered down one is just sad. You are looking for that intense concentrated flavor, and instead you just get milk. Boo.
        For me drinking a cappuccino is a complete sensory experience. The smell-- yes, if you know me, you probably also know that I have a freakish sense of smell. So that rich velvety smell of a perfectly pulled cappuccino is heaven for me. Better yet, just the smell of some good beans gets my mouth watering. The best part is the color: it is a saturated carmel color... when you add milk, it doesn't instantly turn pale taupe, it stays a full bright warm carmel. That's the sign of a good cappuccino to me. I love how that color peeks around the rim of the coffee cup, and you can't really tell if it's a good one until you take a sip and the foam moves enough to see the color. Taste: do I have to go there? The best word I can come up with is RICH. I like to hold it on my tongue and let it linger so I can savor each sip. After all, I only make 2 a day, and they are small cups, so I must savor the moment. There's nothing better than wrapping your hands around a warm cappuccino cup in the winter to keep your hand warm, a frothy foam mustache to top it off.
photo
Oh the color. And notice how it sticks to the sides of the cup. Mmmmm.
photo
And for your reference:
photo
Hope you all are having a good fall morning with your bevie of choice.

1 comment:

  1. thank you... I fully and whole heartily agree... don't mess with the wrong proportions when it comes to coffee. And it's NOT "expresso" - that really gets my goat.

    Just discovered your blog today.

    Looking forward to seeing more.

    Carry on. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

c'mon, don't be shy...