October 28, 2011

Think Zinc: an alternative

I think the granite hype is finally dying down. I can't say I ever really was a huge fan. The patterns were too busy, and they almost looked like fake stone, although it was real stone. Give me marble any day, but granite... I'm not sold. So with granite being out, I'm always looking for alternatives. One of the best ones I've found is Zinc. Zinc will patina over time, and I think that's what's so cool about it-- it's ever changing. Now if you are looking for something streamlined and perfect, this is probably not a choice for you. And while I do like things neat and tidy, I think I could let go enough for maybe an island, or part of my kitchen. Zinc will leave marks, but they say you can buff them out. But I kind of like the idea of having a worn in look. I have to admit, I like that our dining room table is etched with my son's name from when was learning to spell and pressed down so hard on the paper that it's now engraved there forever. We also have marks where the baby carrier was placed repeatedly on the dining room table... I think it gives it character! So if you want 'character' for your kitchen counter tops, this would be a good choice.
photo
photo
Wish I could see what this kitchen looks like all finished!
photo
photo
photo
Zinc is a soft metal, so it can be pressed to have decorative edges.
photo
Rustic and simple as a bathroom vanity top.
photo
Counter tops with a little bit of character. 

And how fabulous are these Zinc top tables!? Love them: 
photo
photo
photo
(As a side note, while I'm saying I would easily choose zinc over granite... it does not come cheap. And just so you know, this dreaming is coming from someone who has Formica counters. I'm not even exactly sure what the material is but it's pale green and has a linen-like finish to it. So anyone out there with granite, you counters are probably much prettier than mine!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

c'mon, don't be shy...