I've gotten a few emails asking about the bulletin board from the KCH&G magazine photo shoot. This was a fun and rewarding project. A little prep and research paid off, while trial and error finished the job. I wanted something BIG, and didn't want little bulletin boards put together. When I was a teenager, I had a whole wall of bulletin board, and it was so cool. Now that wouldn't work on my walls because they are textured, so I did some digging and found out about Homasote. Homa-WHA???? you might be asking. The best part of this find is that the Homasote makes this an eco-friendly project because it's made from recycled newspapers! Offices and art studios often use it as dry wall because you can easily put a push pin in it. Some say that you can find Homasote at Home Depot or Lowe's, but my Lowe's did not have it. I found it easy through the Homasote site and my local lumber yard (Schutte Lumber down on Southwest Boulevard, for any locals out there wondering). It comes in 4 x 8 sheets, and I had the lumber folks cut it down to 4 x 4 feet. I wish I could have kept it 4 x 8 because that's a great size, but my office isn't that big, and 4 x 4 is plenty big. I think it was like 40 bucks.
|I used 2 different widths of tape, so it looks a little weird.|
You are probably wondering how I hung this sucker, right!? When I read about Homasote, people described it as light. While it may be relatively light, when it's in a 4 foot by 4 foot sheet, it's pretty darn heavy. I could lift it easily, but to hang on a wall is another story. Here's where the trial and error came in. I first tried industrial strength Velcro tape. The guy at the hardware store told me he put a flat screen TV up with it. Well, apparently the Homasote board is heavier than a flat screen. It lasted about 3 days then fell. I had nightmares of being in the middle of my KCH&G photoshoot and having the thing fall. So, I added these thingies, just screwed them in:
with some of this:
|I think this is speaker wire. Random, but it worked. |
I first tried using that metal wire that comes with those kits that you hang pictures with,
but it tore in half when I hung it.
I also added the industrial strength Velcro. My walls are textured, so I think the Velcro may have worked by itself if my walls were smooth. It's been several months, and it's still hanging!
More on the office chair re-do and the easy valances coming soon!