December 04, 2012

The Boy's Room Update

Man it takes me forever to complete a project. I know I'm not the only one out there with design ADD. 5 projects happening at once, and NO time to complete any of them. I did manage to get Reece's bedding done. And I have to say, I love it. Not sure if I mentioned, but when Reece turned 8, I surprised him with a new room. Well-- he knew about some of it. He picked out patterns for his bedding, and colors. And picked out the color of his walls. No, he didn't specifically pick out Newburg Green, but he said dark blue, and I went with it. His favorite color is turquoise, so that was the other color, and I added grey. Because that's what moms do-- add the ugly boring color.

So the custom bedding was kind of a prototype, as I'm thinking of adding bedding to my shop. I designed the fabric, and made the duvet myself. I'm not a good seamstress, so I will definitely be looking for a professional manufacturer. I'm not sure how I feel about the duvet. I'm kind of thinking that it's just going to be a pain in the butt and wiggle around in there and become all lumpy and annoying--- as if a kids room with all their junk isn't annoying in itself-- don't want to add with bedding that bugs. So, we'll see how this works, and it might have to be changed to a 'comforter'-- and if that's the case, that's what I'll add in the shop. Here's what we came up with:



It reverses to look like this:


I think I like the honeycomb side better:



So we added a few other things besides paint and bedding, but just minor. A few things stayed, like his Tad Carpenter prints. The frames just got a coat of white spray paint. I do love these, but sometimes wonder if this is why he can't go to sleep at night when he wakes up all freaked out in the middle of the night.


I was glad anything we had painted turquoise from his previous room still fit, so that all stayed the same. And I was able to custom match the color into his bedding. So the corner cabinet remained.


Hooks stayed:


And the turquoise toy chest stayed too:

By the way... the magnet board did not stay with the industrial strength velcro, not that it wouldn't hold it, but the sticky part wouldn't stay stuck to the wall. I had to poke a nail through with a hammer, then screw it in.
We brought up an old desk so he has somewhere to do his homework... so had to supply him with some cool office supplies. Added some task lighting that I scored from Ikea from my trip to Denver (yes, it is dented as the thing is freaking heavy and I dropped it down my stairs.)


and kind of cool that it can swing around and be used as lighting for his bed:


So with the exception of an art project that we were going to do together, his room is pretty much done. All in all HE is happy and loves hanging out in his room now with his friends and just by himself. I'm pretty happy with the bedding so far, and am going to look into manufacturing a few different patterns and color ways. 


Oh--- I feel it necessary to give a disclosure here that his bed will never again look like it does in these pictures. I do not have time to make his bed every day, and his version of 'making a bed' is well, not so pretty. And as I took these pictures, I had to clear out legos, hex bugs, nerf guns and other miscellaneous boys stuff to have a clean shot of whatever I was photographing. So yes, I have a regular messy boy, but hopefully it all look good even when it's messy!

**UPDATE** Reece's room has been included in Emily Clark's Kids Spaces Link Up and there's a Pottery Barn Kids Giveaway! Click below.


3 comments:

  1. thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't want the duvet to shift inside the cover, you can turn your duvet cover inside out and sew a bit of ribbon on the inside of each corner then do the same to the duvet. Then you tie them together and then tuck the duvet inside the cover as you put the cover right side out. A la Martha Stewart. I have been too lazy to do this though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute room! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete

c'mon, don't be shy...